The Strategist
Markets & Industries

We did it again: US Fed cuts interest rates for the third time - 10/31/2019

At the October meeting, the US Federal Reserve System lowered the key rate by 0.25 p.p., to 1.5-1.75% per annum. This decline was the third this year after three years of rate hike. However, in its statement, the regulator seemed somewhat softened, giving a signal that a new rate cut in December was still in question. Experts point out that this can only happen if growth rates deteriorate in the...

Former cryptotraders warn of cryptocurrency bubble - 10/30/2019

The cryptocurrency loan market, which appeared only last year, is rapidly heading for collapse, former Wall Street traders warn. This is facilitated by the lack of lending standards and mismatch of huge supply and low demand. Cryptocurrency loans have expanded too quicklyб and are moving towards an explosion, told several former Wall Street traders who are now engaged in digital assets. According...

USA to spend 2.7 bln on Halloween candies - 10/28/2019

In 2019, Americans will spend $ 2.7 billion on candy for children on Halloween, according to the National Association of Confectioners (NCA). In 2015, the organization forecasted these expenses at the level of $ 2.6 billion, a year earlier they amounted to a little more than $ 2.5 billion. On this holiday, October 31, children traditionally go around their neighborhood and ask for candies....

New ECB: What legacy is Draghi leaving for Lagarde? - 10/25/2019

Head of the European Central Bank, Mario Draghi, held the last meeting of the governing board of the regulator. Eight years of his leadership of the ECB were almost entirely devoted to protecting the European banking system and the euro from the consequences of the European debt crisis. The task was successfully solved at the cost of economic growth. Now, Christine Lagarde will have to deal with...

Study: Passive investors control global stock market - 10/23/2019

Institutional investors (mutual and pension funds, insurance companies) own shares, which account for 41% of global market capitalization, follows from a new OECD report. In the USA, such structures account for 60% of all investments; they also dominate the markets of Great Britain and Canada. The authors of the study note that funds mainly practice passive index-based investing without analyzing...

Analysts: Trade war contributed 70% to oil prices falling - 10/22/2019

Contribution of the US-China trade war to the fall in Brent oil prices was 70%, Bloomberg calculated. Responsibility for everything else lies with the balance of supply and demand. Since April, the cost of Brent oil has been reduced by 20%, Bloomberg states. According to the agency’s estimates, the trade war between the US and China is 70% to blame. The remaining 30% is the contribution of large...

IMF, World Bank warn of global recession - 10/21/2019

Fears of a new recession were quite noticeable in the official agenda of the negotiations of Heads of financial departments of the G20 countries. This was the subject of the two-day meeting held in Washington at the session of the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank. In a communiqué following the meeting, participants said that they would take all measures to support growth, financial...

Investments in risky assets reduced worldwide - 10/16/2019

International investors do not believe in the soon conclusion of the trading peace between the United States and China. Therefore, they are increasing share of cash in their portfolios, and adjusting investments in risky assets. High interest for US stocks persists, while investments in European companies, as well as in companies in developing countries, tend to an indicative level. Portfolio...

Reserve Bank of Australia cuts rates hoping to support the country's economy - 10/15/2019

The Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) admitted a possibility of lowering rates. However, the bank is increasingly worried about the recent surge in housing prices in the country, which requires increased attention. The RBA Board is “ready to soften monetary policy if necessary” to maintain economic growth and create jobs. On October 1, the RBA lowered its key rate to a record low - from 1% to...

US authorities are seeking to suspend Telegram cryptocurrency - 10/14/2019

The US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) announced imposition of a temporary injunction on offshore companies that allegedly hold an unregistered initial coin offering (ICO) of tokens. This is stated in the message of the commission. The US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) on Friday announced adoption of "emergency measures and the receipt of an order to impose a temporary limit"...
1 2 3 4 5 » ... 99